Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:45:22 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Now addmitedly, the particular place where the choice between the two
> forms of coupling is made is up for discussion: it could be based on
> the direction of text underneath point (basically, make the arrow move
> visually rather than logically), or based on the direction of the
> paragraph (what we now have), or based on user preferences (default
> depends on the locale).  I don't have a clear preference, but I think
> that the current choice is pretty good compromise between "no need for
> customization, auto-adjusts to mixes of L2R and R2L buffers" and
> "still move in logical rather than visual order".

My question is: do people who edit bidi frequently need or expect a
separate command for moving logically?

If not, we could require C-f/[right] to always move right, and
C-b/[left] to always move left.  This would be the right-char and
left-char commands, with `forward-char' and `backward-char' no longer
bound to keys.