Re: Emacs making questions while starting in daemon mode

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs making questions while starting in daemon mode
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 17:55:14 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

>>> More precisely is to prevent the user from shooting himself in the foot.
>>
>> In this case, the user did nothing stupid. It is emacs' fault if some
>> package asks the user about something on circunstances where it is not
>> appropiate.
>
> The user did, it added something to his emacs that asks a question
> during startup.  The user should test emacs --daemon in a terminal
> before using it without a terminal.

It is not so simple. Consider ido-mode, for instance. You can add
ido-mode to your .emacs, test the daemon and see it working without
problems. Then, after some time emacs --daemon starts asking for a
password on startup. This is because you visited some buffer with
tramp/ssh, exited emacs (which means that ido-mode saves a list of
visited files) and when you restarted emacs, on startup ido-mode checked
the existence of the files you visited on the previous session, which
triggers tramp and asks for a password.

The bug report that motivated this thread arised when I moved a
versioned file to a directory and created a symlink to it on the
original directory.

This examples shows that the user can not rely on emacs --daemon
starting without questions, as apparently trivial actions can trigger
the problem anytime.

>>> What does C-g mean for `yes-or-no-p'?
>>
>> Abort?
>
> Return value?

C-g signal an error, which means that wathever is waiting for a return
value is aborted as well.

The final outcome with that approach is that the user sees an emacs that
did not complete the initialization, which is similar to the effects of
a faulty .emacs.