Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 08:05:32 -0400

On 07/08/2010 11:05 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
The Eclipse IDE has some nice features.  Maybe CEDET gives us some of
them, but maybe we still lack some.

In some ways CEDET is "better" that Eclipse (code completion in C/C++ is better), and in others it falls behind, such as project management. (This I gather from comments I've read).

Quite a while ago I realized I didn't have time to work on both the infrastructure that is CEDET, and user interfaces that use the infrastructure. Instead I'd write small tools that use the infrastructure in different ways to make sure everything was working correctly. A side effect is that CEDET feels like a big collection of very different little programs that have to be learned separately.

What I'd like to tackle this winter is to try and figure out a more cohesive interface to the suite of underlying tools. The reason is that project management, code completion/parsing/navigation and template based code generation (for Makefiles) is tightly bound. The use of UML for understanding and writing code is tighly bound to code parsing, template based code generation, and project management. Having these 4 items be completely separate with different makes these dependencies unclear, and makes learning the tools appear more complicated that it really is.

Eric