Re: Selection changes

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Re: Selection changes
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:39:18 -0400

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 14:08 -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> I've changed the way Emacs interacts with the X clipboard and selection,
> to bring it in line with how other X applications behave.  For most
> users, the main visible change is that `kill' and `yank' now interact
> with the clipboard.  One advantage of this change is that the
> Cut/Copy/Paste menu bar items are just the usual C-w/M-w/C-y commands.

Crap.  What's the variable I frob again to turn this off so Emacs stays
away from my clipboard?

> I believe that this change should be pretty much seamless, but let me
> know if there is any problems.

For what it's worth, I like the Emacs kill-ring to be completely
divorced from the X clipboard selection.  This creates two different
"worlds", to be sure, but I kill/yank text in Emacs all day and make
heavy use of jumping around the kill-ring.  The clipboard selection is
much more ephemeral and without such history.  I just tend to use
kill/yank in a different way than copy/paste.

When it's necessary to move text between these worlds, the primary
selection and middle-click are more than enough.

Again, just my personal preference.

Jeff