Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 20:50:23 +0100

On 15/08/10 18:59, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:27:37 +0100
From: David De La Harpe Golden<address@hidden>
CC: "Stephen J. Turnbull"<address@hidden>, address@hidden,
  address@hidden

On 15/08/10 16:20, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

As of yesterday, mouse-2 on Windows pastes from the clipboard (and
falls back on the emulated PRIMARY if the clipboard is empty).

Er... really? Did you mean paste from the emulated primary and fall back
to the clipboard?

Ah, w32 x-get-selection-value is only returning the clipboard the first time it is called, subsequent calls return nil if the clipboard is unchanged, it's following the interprogram-paste-function protocol.

I thought you meant you were inserting the clipboard if the clipboard was nonempty every time, and was wondering how that made any sense given AFAIK the w32 clipboard is seldom empty except momentarily when it's just been emptied before an app puts something on it, so the emulated primary would basically never be inserted.

Still, I'm not at all sure this is what you wanted, even leaving aside higher-level "david thinks it's fundamentally wrong"* issues:

A C-y after such a mouse-2 won't insert the current w32 clipboard unless it has changed since the mouse-2, because it's already been "consumed" (put on w32 x-last-selected-text) Nor will the mouse-2 have put it on the kill ring, so it won't be available via M-y either. What happens when you press mouse-2 twice in a row when it's inserted from the w32 clipboard.

All a tad weird for my taste, but /I/ don't have to use it.

* I _still_ think it'd be better to bind mouse-2 back to mouse-yank-at-click, then supply customizations that allow control over whether mouse-yank-at-click gets from the primary, the clipboard (or both), and whether it side-effects the kill-ring (pushes what it just got onto it
as well as inserting it into the buffer).

Then on w32, w32-specific defaults to those customizations could mean mouse-2 could then get from the clipboard, maybe even side effect the kill-ring, until such a time as w32's primary is ready.

Seems I started proposing something like that around Feb 2008*, so, well, obviously I'm failing to communicate why it's desirable.

At the time, I used the variable names:

(mouse-yank-enable-kill-ring nil)
(mouse-yank-enable-system-clipboard nil)
(mouse-yank-enable-system-current-selection t)

* See (emacs-devel list archive isn't responding for me, sorry no link):