Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:20:39 -0400

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 23:04:10 +0900
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Miles Bader writes:
>
>  >    If you _see_ a selected region in Emacs (no matter how it was
>  >    selected), it's available as the primary for pasting in other
>  >    apps.
>
> But that is normally *not true* in Windows, without C-c or C-x (or the
> menu equivalents) first.

Miles was talking about X, not about Windows; and so was I.  We need
to decide on behavior on X before we decide how to map that to
Windows.

> The traditional Windows interface for
> pasting the primary is drag and drop, not C-v.  C-v will replace the
> primary without saving it, with the current content of the clipboard.
>
> See my reply to Eli for more detail on why this is so.

See my message near the beginning of this thread, where I said that on
Windows Emacs should not by default set the clipboard upon selection.

> If you want X11 and Windows (and Mac, for that matter) to have similar
> interfaces here, then you could disable middle-click-to-paste (by
> default) on X11, and use "drag to paste" consistently.

IMO, that would be bad for users on X, because mouse-2 pasting from
PRIMARY is standard there.

As of yesterday, mouse-2 on Windows pastes from the clipboard (and
falls back on the emulated PRIMARY if the clipboard is empty).  I
think this is a reasonable compromise, in that it makes Emacs behave
quite consistently, at least as far as user expectations go.