Re: binding ibuffer to C-x C-b by default

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: binding ibuffer to C-x C-b by default
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 10:43:00 +0900

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
>> That's even more annoying.  I hate having my cursor keys rebound to
>> surprising actions.
>
> What would be the unsurprising (and not useless) behavior here?

I assume he expects them to move the cursor left or right, at least
kinda approximately ... :]

I think that rebinding arrow keys (and other "basic" keys) is often done
badly, in that any new bindings should somehow have a similar "feel" to
the default bindings, even if the action is not strictly the same.

[A binding that changed left/right to do per-character horizontal
scrolling would be a big change, but it still preserves the "feel" to
some extent, so it might be acceptable for a read-only buffer.]

ibuffer's binding does seem pretty dodgy in this respect; with the
default display, hitting left/right simply appears to jump to the
beginning of the buffer!

-Miles

--
Bride, n. A woman with a fine prospect of happiness behind her.