Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats

From: MON KEY
Subject: Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 21:12:53 -0500

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
> No. This is plain old RPC.

This is not plain RPC its UNO "Universal Network
Objects" which does leverage aspects of RPC along with a heavily
influenced (albeit rebranded) CORBA interface.

> The "service" is Free Software

Its LGPL free as in "Oracle"...

Tune in for Episode 3 entitled "We are the Cloud, now get assimilated":
In which our benevolent dictator markets their branded version of
'Oracle Open Office' under the moniker 'Oracle Cloud Office' complete
with PHB targeted hype-speak:

 "Oracle Cloud Office Web-scale architecture can be used for on-premise,
  on-demand, or software-as-a-service (SaaS) deployments."

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/applications/open-office/cloud-office-170206.html

> running under the user's own control.

It is the remote aspects around the TCP/IP portion of the UNO
connections that are of concern.

Why is "host" necessarilly under user control?

,----

|  * uno:socket,host=localhost,port=2002;urp;StarOffice.ServiceManager
|  * uno:pipe,name=mypipename;urp;MyObjectName
|
|  http://udk.openoffice.org/common/man/spec/connection_services.html

`----

This certainly isn't clear from the UNO spec.

There is dicussion which suggests that certain issues re the "user's
own control" are neither resolved nor necessarilly secure, i.e.

http://udk.openoffice.org/common/man/concept/uno_security.html

Note the circa 2002 copyright date of that URL and the curiously
conflicting Oracle/Sun branding.

No doubt now that Sun is Oracle those lingering issues will finally be
dispatched esp. since the cloud has proven to be a viable economic
engine in years to come.

Whichever. Thanks to Tasillo et al for endeavoring to make ODF format
available to Emacs users.

I just find it unfortunate that the feature has the
python/pyuno/UNO/OpenOffice/Java dependencies. It would be nice to
have an ODF conversion interface which isn't so heavy, potentially
insecure, or so fundamentally antithetical to the KISS of Emacs' plain text.

--
/s_P\