Re: Proposed patch: allow user to disable lockfile creation

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Proposed patch: allow user to disable lockfile creation
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:31:11 -0400

    These days, advisory file locks (fcntl with F_GETLK and F_SETLK) should be
    reliable enough over NFS (and on local file systems) on practical GNU and
    GNU-like machines, and should be able to do everything that Emacs's symlink
    lock files do.  (This wasn't true way back when the symlink scheme was
    originally introduced.)  If we used advisory file locks, I daresay we
    could get rid of those symlinks.

That sounds nice.  If we can do the same job in a way that never
bothers anyone, let's.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation