Re: A few Windows build fixes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A few Windows build fixes
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 23:29:01 -0400

>> > Yes, we do: on the lowest possible level that Emacs handles file names
>> > before it passes them to system APIs.  I pointed out the relevant
>> > function in w32.c where that happens.  If you transform all file names
>> > there, every single feature of Emacs will work as expected by users.
>> You're talking about adding support for cygwin file names at the very
>> lowest level?
> I'm saying that this is the only way to have reliable support for
> Cygwin file names (as opposed to something that only "mostly" works).
>> We'd want it to have zero impact to the users who don't use cygwin
>> (and may not even have it installed), of course.
> They will never see such file names.

That can be argued (all file names starting with "/" are potential
Cygwin names).  But the issue I was referring to is that we want the
Emacs executable to work even if Cygwin is not available, so either we
have to re-implement the Cygwin file-name translation (as is partly done
in cygwin-mount) or we have to dyn-load the Cygwin run-time
when available.

>> Also, once cygwin file names are supported, I think people will expect
>> more integration of (native) Emacs and cygwin, e.g. in subprocesses.
> What problems are there with Cygwin subprocesses?  Emacs already
> recognizes Cygwin executables and adapts itself, at least to some
> extent (quoting of command-line arguments).

I thought we still had problems delivering signals to them.
If not, great.

        Stefan