Re: A few Windows build fixes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A few Windows build fixes
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 04:49:28 -0400

> From: Hannu Koivisto <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 11:33:04 +0300
>
> One problem is Cygwin dll's automatic globbing of command line
> arguments (which is done when a non-Cygwin application runs a
> Cygwin application) and that might be one thing that could be
> handled if better integration is wanted.

Sorry, I don't understand.  On Posix platforms, globbing is something
done by the shell, not by the application.  Since Cygwin emulates
Posix, I would expect its applications not to glob on their own.  Are
you saying that sometimes Cygwin applications do glob in their startup
code, like native Windows apps?  (That's what I understand from the
URL you mentioned.)

Anyway, there's code in Emacs and cmdproxy to treat Cygwin
applications specially.  Perhaps that code needs to be updated for the
current behavior of Cygwin programs.  If so, I would welcome Cygwin
users to provide patches to that effect.  Only those users have both
the motivation to fix Emacs in this area and the means to test these
patches.

TIA