Re: Sound in Emacs

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Sound in Emacs
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 02:23:40 +0200

Tim Cross <address@hidden> writes:

> To answer the question whether to enhacne/extend sound support, we
> probably need to define what we mean - do we mean better 'beeps' or do
> we mean the ability to play mp3/ogg files form dired similar to how we
> view images or do we mean something else.

I'm not particularly interested in the `beep' case, but more interested
in the dired case.

But I'm not sure there's really a compelling case for incorporating such
support in Emacs.  I mean, all music I play go through Emacs, but use
external programs for playing, and that works kinda OK.  But if there
were good decoding and outputting libraries available (and it's getting
sort of unclear if there really are), then playing music though Emacs
would Just Work instead of being something you'd have to work at to get.

But it's like ImageMagick support.  Does displaying images inside Emacs
give you a better experience?  I think it does.  And I have a feeling
the same would be the case with sound support.