Re: Sound in Emacs

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Sound in Emacs
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:22:29 +0200

address@hidden writes:

>     j> All filetypes can be meta tagged the same way technically. then
>     j> you need a common storage(I've been experimenting with rdf
>     j> indexing on top of xattrs) and indeed Emacs is ideal for large
>     j> scale tagging.
>
> I dont know of any existing things doing this, which is a pity, it would
> make for a very effective tool for managing all kinds of large
> collections of sound.  There are some metadata-editors for sound around,
> but afaik only 'standalone' apps, really not offering much more in
> functionality than file-browsers.
>
> One obvious problem in a db-approach is keeping collected info updated
> after say moving files around or editing them.
>
> This could be managed by including historic information in the actual
> files (version, name, location...) for a 'detective'-script to be able
> to keep track of new names, locations or other changes, and keep a db
> updated accordingly.  Maybe xattrs already solves this?

xattrs are like image exif tags, or mp3 id3 tags, so they move along
with the file. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a set of standard xattrs
one can use, the facility as such is just a name value storage in a
recourse fork of the file. Indexing needs to be done separately and
there are a bunch of daemons that do that.

Anyway, my idea was to implement an xattrs editor in Emacs, the other
issues are outside of the scope for Emacs. If you are interested in this
line of thought we could set up a shared code repository and take it
from there.

--
Joakim Verona