Re: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 18:05:09 +0100

>> How do you communicate to the tab what the "something" is?
>

> execute 'grep -i foo *' in background , example

I didn't ask "what" the something is.  I asked "how" you want to
communicate that something to the tab.

>>> 2. The 'show event should commute to the buffer *grep*
>> This is the standard buffer switching functionality.
>>

> I know how to commute a buffer. In this case of tab, I want the show event
> to commute to a given buffer.

I meant that this is the standard behavior associated with tabs: Display
something like a file or a webpage in the display area associated with
the tab.

>>> 3. when grep finds something, and the tab is hidden , the tab widget to
>>> change the color
>> What sense does it make to have a hidden tab change color?  And what
>> kind of event is this in your nomenclature?
>>

> Tabs should register a callback for an event , for example, when i/o
> arrives in  the given process...

But what do you want to do?  I suppose you want to show the tab that was
hidden before.  OTOH "show" in your nomenclature meant something
different so far: Do some standard action associated with the tab like
switching buffers or restoring a window configuration.

>>> 4. The 'close event should kill the *grep* buffer, and the process , if
>> it
>>> had not finished yet
>>>  Could you do this using buttons in toolbar or menubar, as you insist ?
>> So far I'd only insist that saving and restoring window configurations
>> should be done with the menubar rather than with a tab.  I never ever
>> use toolbars but I think that mail handling routines using the toolbar
>> (could) do such things routinely (inform of new mail, kill a buffer and
>> remove the associated button when mail has been sent , ...).
>>

> Why do you change the subject of discussion ? saving and restoring window
> configurations concerns other type of tab, not this one I am talking here.

I referred to the window configuration example because so far that was
the only one where I "insisted" on providing a menubar entry rather than
a tab.  You can't accuse me of insistence with an example you didn't
provide before.  My argument was that the "'close event" for the *grep*
buffer is rather similar to a toolbar button provided by an email
problem which, when hit, causes the currently written mail to get sent
and the associated display area where that mail was shown removed.  I
don't know of any MUA that uses tabs for such a purpose but I don't want
to exclude it.

I also agree that the hourglass functionality of a tab you cited earlier
(that is changing the color of a tab while work like grep searching is
in progress) can be useful, for example, when performing a couple of
grep searches or compilations simultaneously.

martin