Re: CL package serious deficiencies

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: CL package serious deficiencies
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 06:42:35 -0700

Nix <address@hidden> writes:

> On 7 Feb 2012, Glenn Morris uttered the following:
>
>> Nix wrote:
>>
>>> Well, if you find out what the problems are, I'll see about fixing them.
>>
>> You could look at
> [...]
>> if you want something to do (send any follow-ups to the relevant bug
>> address, not here).
>
> Thanks! on the list...
>
>>                                              Also none of these have any
>> relevance to whether cl is acceptable to use at run-time.
n>
> So... unreliability is *not* the reason, after all? And documentation-
> weightiness, as Tom points out, cannot be the reason. So... what *is*
> the reason? I (and others, it seems) are distinctly curious.

I was under the impression that the use of keyword arguments in cl.el
was the reason that it was unpalatable to core Emacs devs.  That and a
general desire for elisp to be a simpler language than cl.

Given that cl inclusion suddenly seems possible, I would like to say
that from the perspective of working on Org-mode the availability of cl
functions would be a great help.  We already have at least the following
Org-specific re-writes of existing cl-functions, and we frequently have
to cull other cl functions from the code base.

org-count
org-find-if
org-reduce
org-remove-if
org-remove-if-not

M-x apropos "remove-if" yields the following 9 functions [1] all of
which are currently distributed as part of Emacs.  At this point I think
there is an argument for cl inclusion simplifying Emacs, or at least
making life easier for developers of Emacs packages.

Cheers,

Footnotes:
[1]
ert--remove-if-not
  Function: A reimplementation of `remove-if-not'.
gnus-remove-if
  Function: Return a copy of SEQUENCE with all items satisfying
            PREDICATE removed.
gnus-remove-if-not
  Function: Return a copy of SEQUENCE with all items not satisfying
            PREDICATE removed.
org-remove-if
  Function: Remove everything from SEQ that fulfills PREDICATE.
org-remove-if-not
  Function: Remove everything from SEQ that does not fulfill
            PREDICATE.
recentf-remove-if-non-kept
  Function: Remove FILENAME from the recent list, if file is not kept.
  Properties: byte-optimizer
remove-if
  Function: Remove all items satisfying PREDICATE in SEQ.
  Properties: autoload
remove-if-not
  Function: Remove all items not satisfying PREDICATE in SEQ.
  Properties: autoload
widget-remove-if
  Function: (not documented)

--