Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 02:56:23 +0000

Jambunathan,

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

> Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It's clear from looking at the Org Mode dev thread
>
> It is an error to assume that you (one) can have nuanced understanding
> of community dynamics and human motivations by looking at some mailing
> list threads scattered here and there.
>
>>   - Accept no further changes from him.
>>   - Don't let him post on the dev mailing lists any more, period.
>
> I may have a stinking personality.  But the code I write has a secular
> nature.  The code doesn't take the smell of the hand it types.

The code takes the taint and the risk of the copyright troll you are
evidently trying to become.  Any free software project is well advised
to steer clear of known copyright trolls.

Indeed, your code was fine until the very moment you decided to use it
as a cudgel against your community.  The potential that you will do so
again is reason enough to exclude it.

> This fellow (this is yesterday's post)
>
>         http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg67840.html
>
> gets on with his business without spinning out conspiracy theories and
> venturing in to speculation.  That's what a typical beneficiary will be
> like when I disappear from the list.

It's hardly a "conspiracy theory" or "specualtion" when you state as
your goal the disruption, delay, and inconvenience of Org, Emacs, and
their users.

--
Regards,
WGG