Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 13:48:10 +0200

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> If the experts say there isn't, I'd say catch errors from
> make-frame-on-display, display a warning, and be done.

Agreed, that's good enough.

>> 2.- It is acceptable on POSIX systems to try to create X frames if
>> emacs was started with -nw?
>
> I won't like that, FWIW.

Isn't the POSIX Emacs already able to create both kinds of frames? I
mean, leaving aside the current issue with desktop.el, if you do this:

   emacs -nw
   M-: (make-frame-on-display ":0.0") <RET>

on a POSIX Emacs, does it create an X frame?

>>     (and (eq system-type 'windows-nt) (not window-system))
>
> You could use display-graphic-p, of course.

Yes, I thought of that, but I'm trying to distinguish between the
Windows port (where creating a w32 frame in a non-windowed Emacs is A
Really Bad Idea, see bug#14739), and the POSIX one (where both kinds
of frames are simultaneously supported). Currently we discourage
checking for window-system, and system-type does not tell you whether
you're running in -nw mode.

>> 4.- What about the MS-DOS port? Does it support more than one frame?
>
> Yes, it does, like any TTY session: all the frames occupy the same
> screen space, and only one of them is visible at any given time.

OK. At some point, once the dust is settled, we'll have to test this
desktop stuff to make sure it does the right thing.