Re: Blink cursor changes, possible W32 breakage.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Blink cursor changes, possible W32 breakage.
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 00:04:44 +0200

> Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Yes, but timers are still running, so Emacs are never swapped out, and
>> drains battery on laptops (yes it makes a difference).
>
> Then I would suggest only turning on this functionality if the machine
> is on battery power.  Surely there's a dbus message for that?
>
> For machines that aren't on battery power, this doesn't seem like
> something that users would want.

I often access my home machine from a remote laptop with NX (you can
consider that X, to all effects on this discussion.) One of first things
I did was to turn cursor blinking off on Emacs, because every time the
cursor goes off or on, traffic is sent through the net. Energy-wise,
this is worse than a blinking cursor on a local application.

Of course, the Emacs instance running on my home machine does not know
that the remote X server is running on a laptop.

Most likely, VNC and any other remote desktop software would pose the
same problem with blinking cursors.

I'm not arguing for a specific default value for the new variable, as I
have no problem with editing my .emacs. I'm just providing some real
life experience related to this feature.