Re: Compile Mode and "host" Emacs

From: Sebastian Wiesner
Subject: Re: Compile Mode and "host" Emacs
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:07:28 +0100

2013/10/29 Nathan Trapuzzano <address@hidden>:
> Sebastian Wiesner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Well, as I myself use Emacs trunk, it would solve *my* problem
>> immediately :)  Of course, it would not solve my users' problem right
>> now, but at least it would do so in the foreseeable future, when Emacs
>> 24.4 is released.  That's still better than nothing, isn't it?
>
> Yes it is.  But if solving _your_ problem is good enough in the short
> run, why not just add that (setenv ...) sexp to your .emacs?

Well, because obviously this would *never* solve this problem for my
users, unless they replicate my configuration.

If Compile Mode was now changed to set a variable, lets call it
"EMACS_PATH" for now, I myself would not need to do anything, and my
users would just need to add this variable to their "init.el"
temporarily, until 24.4 is released.

And besides, setting variables in "init.el" just to support a single
script is sort of a dirty hack, isn't it?  I'd rather like to see this
solved in a clean way in Emacs itself.

After all, this use case can't be so special that none else has it.