Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115470: eww: exit and close actions

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115470: eww: exit and close actions
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 14:17:08 -0500

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:52:48 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> +(defun eww-exit ()
>> +  "Exit the Emacs Web Wowser."
>> +  (interactive)
>> +  (setq eww-history nil)
>> +  (kill-buffer (current-buffer)))
>> +
>> +(defun eww-close ()
>> +  "Close the Emacs Web Wowser browser, leaving history intact."
>> +  (interactive)
>> +  (quit-window))

SM> I think this is a step backward.  The names `eww-close' and `eww-exit'
SM> don't help the user understand what those commands do.  To me they sound
SM> like different names for the same thing.

I think `close' and `exit' in the context of a web browser are very
clear concepts.  Do you think any users are unfamiliar with web
browsers?  Or do you want to give Emacs-specific names to these
concepts?

I would rather avoid this Emacsification[1], personally, and have done
my best to help eww users, but eww is not my project so I'll leave it to
Lars and you to settle it.

SM> I'd rather use commands `kill-this-buffer' and `quit-window' which are
SM> much more clear and which the user might already know.

SM> I'm not sure how (setq eww-history nil) fits in there, because I don't
SM> know why it's there, so I can't comment on how best to go about it in
SM> this respect.

It ensures that the browsing history is erased, which `kill-buffer' may
not do.  This was in Lars' original code as `eww-quit' so I kept it.

Ted