Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 22:49:29 +0200

> Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 20:40:40 +0200
> From: Bozhidar Batsov <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eric Raymond <address@hidden>, Karl Fogel <address@hidden>,
>       emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> Try running bzr with Python 3 for instance... Probably this is never going
> to happen. I took quite some time for
> bzr to become compatible with Python 2.7.

Why should I care what version of Python is used under the hood?
(Mine is 2.6.6, btw.)

> Git works pretty well on Windows these days

Pretty well my foot: it requires a complete separate shell set up with
a separate PATH, to keep its singular version of MSYS out of my main
development environment.

> bzr has some pretty serious weaknesses - its conflict resolution mechanism
> is terrible for instance.

There's a single command to learn, and once you done that, you will
never have any problems with conflicts.

> On the Emacs side of things - git users can benefit from the power of magit
> and with bzr we have only vc-dir to work with.
> I think this is a tide not worth fighting. I had some problems years ago
> migrating from SVN (and the associated mindset) to
> git, but once I grokked git I've never looked back.

Didn't I tell that I do use git?