Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 14:07:03 +0100

Bastien writes:
>> Our ChangeLog files are very useful in debugging.
>> They complement the diffs between versions of the source files.
>
> I think everyone agrees with this.

FWIW, I don't.  I've used ChangeLogs and Journals while I was still
using RCS and I'm glad I don't have to anymore.  With properly written
commit messages, I get more easily accessible and much more accurate
information than by just looking at a ChangeLog or trying to align
ChangeLog entries with a diff.

> The question is whether we should edit them separately
> from the commit messages, or if we should produce them
> by (programmatically) extracting them from the commit
> messages.

If the information in the commit message and the ChangeLog is different
to begin with, then you're doing something wrong.  If it is (supposed to
be) identical, then manually entering the same information in two
different places is unnecessarily complex and error-prone, so generating
one format from the other is the only sane option.

Regards,
Achim.