Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 16:38:22 +0300

Stefan Monnier [2014-06-20 08:56:36 -04:00] wrote:

>> Please, no. I think flyspell is too intrusive to be enabled by
>> default.
>
> Maybe that's something we should fix, then. But nowadays I consider it
> "standard" to do basic spell-checking on-the-fly, in any "text editing
> area".

Perhaps it's a standard. I, for one, use on-the-fly spelling checker a
lot in Emacs, just never flyspell.

If any spell-checker is enabled by default it should also actually work
with all/most human languages and the way users expect. Otherwise it
gets in the way. There are languages which can't be spell-checked with
ispell-like programs and it seems that Emacs's ispell/flyspell is very
much tied to those.

For me Emacs' ispell/flyspell are pretty much useless. I use Voikko
spell-checker for Finnish language and Enchant for others. Enchant is a
shared library and a generic interface for many checker engines
(including ispell, aspell, myspell etc.).