Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 23:02:36 +0000

Hello, Sergey.

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 11:57:56PM +0300, Sergey Organov wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> > Thanks!  But the log doesn't identify which branch the commits are in.
> > How do I persuade git log to do this?

> > Now, I've discovered I can do

> >     git log -n5 emacs24 master --

> > and this works, but it doesn't say which commit is in which branch.
> > YUCK.

> Because in GIT commits are not on a branch. All commits are arranged into
> DAG, and branch is just a pointer into the DAG. Any given commit is
> either reachable from given branch or not. It's that simple.

I think you're just playing with words, here.  We all know what a branch
is, and git knows which revisions are on which branch (or branches?),
otherwise your command below couldn't work.

> Try:

> $ git log --oneline --decorate emacs24 ^master

> that will show all commits that are reachable from 'emacs24' but not
> reachable from 'master'.

That's very impressive, but not what I want.  I want to see all recent
commits together, each one annotated with which branch it's on.  That's
surely not too much to ask for.  I want annotation, not filtering.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).