Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 20:40:09 +0100

* Alan Mackenzie:

> This doesn't work very well.  It prints out the information for the first
> commit that is displayed, but no more.  This feels like a git bug.

Git does not record the branch on which a commit was made.  It's
sometimes recorded in merges, but only in the free-text commit
message.  For fast-forward merges (without a separate merge commit),
there is no trace that development of certain commits happened on a
separate branch.

gitk can show precedes/follows information for tags, though.
Depending on the project's history, this can be quite useful.  (I have
not seen a command line tool which does the same thing.)