Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:38:14 +0100

Yuri Khan <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 12:49 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> The pain is when the code is OK, but the log entry isn't.  In that
>> case, instead of just letting them push by themselves, I need to do
>> all the work for them.
>
> If they have push access, you needn’t. Workflow D: you tell them “The
> code looks good to me. Please fix the commit message <list of proposed
> changes> and push”. They then git commit --amend && git push, and they
> are left with a better understanding of how to write good commit
> messages for Emacs.

>From experience, I'd say that 50% of the committers will not fix their
changelogs and your task is then to (1) track patches in wait for a
better changelog entry and (2) apply them when the committer fixes the
changelog entry OR (2bis) fix it yourself... and waiting for (2) or
(2bis) to happen is so boring that you often fix the entry yourself
and stop encouraging committers to learn how to fix changelogs.

Or maybe I'm getting old :)

--
 Bastien