Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:33:23 +0100

> I'll grant you that my experience with Windows and Mac help is "db;gf"
> ("don't bother; Google first"),

I've set up a dual boot computer for my father recently, and the amount
of stuff like "use some arcane modifier key combination in order to get
some system menu in an obscure place populated with more, absolutely
essential configuration options" was a total surprise to me.  The
preinstalled help available is completely and utterly useless for that.

Then you Google for the necessary steps, and the respective information
is found in some step-by-step blogs from a power user.  Nothing from
Microsoft itself.

And those users call UNIX arcane.  I suspect that this kind of "let's do
some secret stuff and tell nobody about it until he begs for it in
person" attitude has colored off somewhat on projects like GNOME3.
I mean, if the market leader gets away with it, they must be doing
something right?

--
David Kastrup