Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:25:33 +0100

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 2:13 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> The LilyPond manual pages have a search box that works like the first
>>> option, I think.
>>
>> Do you have a link to that on the web?
>>

>>> Against using a clear text search or the index in Info, it sucks really,
>>> really, really bad.  Part of the problem is that followup
>>> searches/refinements pretty fast end up on some other page.
>>
>> I can't see how that can happen.
>
> Shrug.  Try the page
> <URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/extending/>.  Enter
> into the Search box on the left "ly:context-property".  You get to some
> Google search page and the original page is left.  The Google search
> terms include a site restriction, but if you do something like C-a in
> order to overtype the search term, of course you land somewhere else.

If you type C-a there you kind of ask for it. ;-)

Yes, it is a bit inconvenient in that regard. Google CSE can take care
of that (the "site:" part is hidden), but the gratis version of CSE is
limited to the number of pages I mentioned.

This is one of the reasons I mentioned http://opensearchserver.com/ in
this thread. Another reason is that I found the gratis CSE offer from
Google a bit unstable. What will they do tomorrow?

(Quite inconvenient, BTW, that they the LilyPond page does not open
the search result in a new window. I can see no good reason for not
using a new window there. But that is the responsibility of those
writing the page at LilyPond.)

>>> Part of the problem is that, well, searching for something on a huge
>>> page that is actually already loaded works not all that well anyway,
>>> but then you may end up on the split version, too.
>>
>> I do not understand how that relates to what we are talking about here.
>
> Search engines suck for navigating some document you already have open
> in your browser.

Really. Because they are not involved at all. ;-)

You can design some JavaScript for that.