Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:44:26 +0100

> Eli's argument may be persuasive because, after all, his proposals are
> good for Emacs much of the time, and I wanted to point out that the
> generalization from getting it exactly right for one person to doing
> pretty well for everyone is logically invalid in this case.

Well, Emacs Info is catered to one purpose: getting it pretty much
exactly right for a very limited set of tasks is an attainable goal.
Getting all HTML browsers exactly right for the same set of tasks is
much harder since it's rather vaguely right for several orders of
magnitude more tasks.

Emacs is a platform, and it supports doing Info in a manner very much
tied into the platform.  HTML+Browser vaguely is also a platform, but
hand-catering it to a particular task, particularly given a multitude of
unknown browsers and language standards, is much more fuzzy.

And compared to HTML/JavaScript/whatever, Emacs Lisp is remarkably
concise, efficient, well-defined and clear.

--
David Kastrup