Re: VC mode and git

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 23:31:18 +0100

() Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
() Wed, 25 Mar 2015 19:27:43 +0200

   I see nothing wrong with that.  DWIM-ish operation is not for
   everybody, certainly for a package as flexible as Git.

I agree, nothing wrong.  Still, not as nice as it could be.
Probably in younger days, i would have said: "Lame".

   The relevant question is: would this be useful in enough use
   cases to justify the feature, at least as an option?

I think the time when people would respect VC imposing its
unified model on the underlying VCS is past.  When they were all
centralized, such an imposition lifted the burden of having to
remember fiddly details such as command-line options.  But the
schism between centralized and distributed is here, and here to
stay, and so a unified model spanning these models now is an
impediment to fully exploiting the tools.  It's a lose/lose
situation when DWIM must straddle disparate M based on disparate
models.

That said, within any particular camp (cent or dist), some
unification is still possible (and desirable).  But the thrust
should be away from DWIM and towards clean primitives exposed
directly to the user.  Centralized camp is already happy.
Distributed is only one lacuna away from happiness (IMHO).

So to answer the question: IMHO, no.

   > Thus, long term, such a feature will be underused,
   > undertested and definitely underappreciated.

   Please note how you put 3 assumptions one on top of the
   other, and then made a conclusion out of that, which is
   basically founded on nothing but your own experience and
   preferences.

Noted.

I have only those to offer, made w/ my limited and imperfect
understanding of other human beings, and those are offered in
the best good faith way possible.  I'm sorry i can't do better.

   What exactly would be the difference between the proposed
   vc-push and invoking "git push" via M-! ?

Well, the following is not exact, but i bet if ‘vc-push’ were to
appear, it would become so (i.e., Someone might Write Code).  :-D

I suppose there could be options, e.g., like how ‘vc-diff’ has
‘vc-diff-switches’.  Also, commands are nice places for hooks.
I imagine a brach-display buffer (e.g., ‘M-x git-show-branch’ i
posted some time back) could be updated via such a hook.

All these possibilities are absent from the meager ‘M-!’ path.

Anyway, i'll sit down now.  RMS: i hope you can move your pov.

--
  (if you're human and you know it) read my lisp: