Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 00:55:48 +0000

>>> If you could add a link on that page to your proposed change, it would help
>>> focus our discussion.
>>
>> Here we go:
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Isearch-prompt-proposal
>
> After learning about [F1 m] it might become too distracting to see
> it permanently.

I understand that people are worried about this, but:
1) The help buffer you get from typing `F1 m' will tell you how to
disable the reminder (there'll be a variable, of course).
2) I really don't think it'll be that distracting. On large screens
it'll be over 100 spaces to the right of the search string. On small
screens we can make it so that it doesn't appear at all (just to make
sure the prompt doesn't get crowded).

> Of course, like ‘inhibit-startup-screen’ we could create
> a customization ‘inhibit-isearch-message-help’,

Yes, something like this would surely exist.

> but everyone has to make an effort to disable it, that's not too nice.

Or just ignore it. :-)

> A better option is to allow customization of the whole isearch echo area
> like ‘mode-line-format’ is used to customize the mode-line.

This sounds like a fine suggestion, but completely orthogonal to the
current dicussion.

The question here is: would it be an overall improvement to add a
(disableable) small reminder to the right edge of the echo-area? i.e.,
would the benefit to people who've never seen the isearch help
outweigh the annoyance of those who'll want to disable it.