Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 13:39:11 -0600

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> People who don't like electric-indent-mode can just turn it off, can't they?
>> Why argue about defaults when they can be so easily changed?
>
>This is more about people who want to use electric-indent-mode, but don't want
>it changing previous defaults in a way that doesn't seem to be related to
>electric-indent-mode.
>
>I can imagine a new user experiencing this and having no clue that
>electric-indent-mode is the reason: Because it is enabled by default for them
>in 25.1 -- they never consciously turned it on to notice the difference in
>behavior -- so they wouldn't know it's coming from that source.

That's exactly what happened to me, yes.

>Why is something like this being enabled by default, again? Or did I misread?
>I would expect any kind of automated behavior like this to be opt-in.

You didn't misread -- the new behavior is (currently) the default.  I'm
proposing we revert to the old behavior.

Even people who use electric indent all the time would probably be surprised by
the new default behavior.  And there's no real advantage to this new default,
since one can achieve the same effect just by putting point in column 0 before
running `open-line'.

So Eli, I think what John said is right: this isn't about
`electric-indent-mode'.  It's about `open-line', and a new behavior of
`open-line' that isn't what most users would expect even if they are conscious
of & like `electric-indent-mode'.

Best regards,
-Karl