Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 19:47:36 -0500

  > The somewhat tricky part about the last item is that some languages
  > use non-contiguous portions of a block that is shared with other
  > languages.

It would be easy to allow a language name to specify a list
of character codes to display, instead of a range of codes,
when desirable.

    Word lets you choose a _script_ (more accurately, a Unicode block
    which supports a specific script), not a language.  E.g., you won't
    find "Turkish" there, because there's no such block in Unicode.

    Displaying characters for a language is a more fine-grained task.

A list of the characters special to that language would be easy to add.

So this feature could accept language names, and script names, and various
other ways of specifying which collection of characers to offer.

  > You select a subset of characters in a character set (e.g. Greek
  > letters) and are shown a modal window with visual representations of all
  > the characters. You can then choose a character to insert into the
  > document.

Yes, that's it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman