Re: debbugs tracker builds character

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: debbugs tracker builds character
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 12:56:54 -0400

> IMHO that's not an actual requirement. It's an implementation detail.

I think at the time, working similarly to the old bug-gnu-emacs
mailing-list was a clear desire.

And I think it's probably still the case that we'd want our bug-tracker to
be usable via email for those who want to (tho it's probably OK if only
the main functions are available via this UI).

> The actual requirement was probably about disconnected operation or
> something like that.

Yes, I agree that this is the crucial point.  That's my motivation for
developing BugIt (https://gitlab.com/monnier/bugit).

I haven't had much time to devote to it lately, tho, so it's stuck at
the stage of "proof of concept" right now.

> The bug tracker should be aware of repositories, branches, commits,
> contributors, and ticket links or mentions in commit messages.

I've never seen a bug-tracker do anything really useful with those
(other than what you can get by embedding URLs in the bug
description/discussion), so I'd be interested to hear more (tho it could
be difficult to retro-fit it into BugIt since BugIt is designed to be
fundamentally an issue/ticket-tracking system not necessarily related to
"code" or to any kind of VCS repository).

> Contributors should be able to tag and notify each other.

You mean to (re)assign bugs to particular persons and things like that?

> Markdown etc. should be well supported.

Right.  In BugIt I decided to skip the "etc." part, tho.

> Inline code comments should be easy, and linked to a commit (so an
> updated commit can resolve the comment).

How do you "update a commit"?  What does "resolve a comment" mean?

> I think this is not something you can solve with patches or good UI.
> It requires a tool architected correctly from the start.  Such tools
> exist aplenty.

Do you have a recommendation of something you consider well-designed
(not necessarily for Emacs's use, so I could look at it)?

        Stefan