Re: Development suggestions from an ENSIME developer

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Development suggestions from an ENSIME developer
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 09:50:01 -0400

On 2016-07-22 18:48, Robert Cochran wrote:
>>> I for one would welcome a code of conduct :) These things tend to
>>> send an explicit positive message, and there are virtually no
>>> downsides to having one.
>
> I disagree.
>
> When I think 'Code of Conduct', I inevitably think of the Social
> Justice Warriors. I think very lowly of the SJWs

Thanks for sharing your opinion.  If this is the only downside, I still stand
by "virtually no downsides".

We have two groups of people: one that feels unsafe in some online communities,
and which we might make more comfortable by explicitly stating that
contributors should behave nicely to each other (which, as has been pointed
out, is not asking much: this mailing list is rather civil already).  Another
one that feels upset about such a document, based on vaguely accusatory
inferences about who might have suggested the introduction of said document —
although it doesn't affect them personally in any way.

> and I'm always set on edge, at least a little, when I see that a
> project has adopted a CoC. That tends to be an indicator that the
> SJWs have infected a project.

Conversely, I'm set on the edge when I see someone refer to "Social Justice
Warriors", especially in the context of adopting a Code of Conduct :)

Cheers,
Clément.