Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 17:01:53 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
>> Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 17:28:17 +0100
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> I'm suggesting supplementing the core build with a directory called
>> "packages" which support package.el format packages.
>
> Why does it have to be a separate directory?  Why cannot those
> packages be downloaded into their current places, where they belong in
> one of the subdirectories of lisp/?

The build process is different. I use package.el to compile, and to
build the autoloads and the -pkg.el file. This could be done in the lisp
directory, but I'd have to exclude this directory from the normal build
process in the lisp directory.

I'm not at all wedded to the directory structure. This is just a
proof-of-principle. It can be what ever we want. Is there a problem with
introducing a new top level?

Phil