Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 09:02:07 +0100

> I installed this change into Emacs master. It discontinues the use of
> Automake and moves some makefiles around, so you'll have to run
> './autogen.sh' and then './configure'. Although there's a bit of pain
> now (and there will probably be some shakeout bugs), I hope that the
> new approach causes fewer gnulib.mk etc. glitches in the future.

I currently have the following files as "untracked" here:

        build-aux/ar-lib
        build-aux/compile
        build-aux/depcomp
        build-aux/missing
        nt/gnulib.mk
        src/stamp-h.in

Shouldn't we add them to the files ignored by git?  Or should these be
deleted?

Also I'm recently often getting things like

 + 917ce99...5aa9a80 scratch/record -> origin/scratch/record  (forced update)

Couldn't we recommend that people don't use forced pushes - even on
scratch branches?

martin