Re: Some hard numbers on licenses used by elisp packages

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Some hard numbers on licenses used by elisp packages
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 19:48:09 +0200

Richard Stallman writes:

>   > I found it here: https://www.gap-system.org/Packages/Contrib/emacs.html
> <https://www.gap-system.org/Packages/Contrib/emacs.html>
>   > Which is to say, as a file uploaded to the GAP website (for which it is a
> major-mode).
>
> What is the GAP system?

It's a computational algebra / group theory system, complete with
libraries, data structures, foreign language bindings and their own
programming language.  From their homepage:

What is GAP?

GAP is a system for computational discrete algebra, with particular
emphasis on Computational Group Theory. GAP provides a programming
language, a library of thousands of functions implementing algebraic
algorithms written in the GAP language as well as large data libraries
of algebraic objects. See also the overview and the description of the
mathematical capabilities. GAP is used in research and teaching for
studying groups and their representations, rings, vector spaces,
algebras, combinatorial structures, and more. The system, including
source, is distributed freely. You can study and easily modify or extend
it for your special use.

In July 2008, GAP was awarded the ACM/SIGSAM Richard Dimick Jenks
Memorial Prize for Excellence in Software Engineering applied to
Computer Algebra.

Regards,
Achim.