What improvements would be truly useful?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: What improvements would be truly useful?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 08:11:38 -0500

An improvement in GC wouldn't be a bad thing, but it may not be worth
the effort.  It is likely to lead to many bugs that would be hard to
fix.  Once working, it would not make much difference to users.
It would only permit some operations on larger problems than now.

When I was working at the AI Lab, one of the older programmers told me
that hackers are often eager to make improvements of this sort: which
make the program better in an abstract sense, but not better for
users.  I took that advice to heart.  Now I pass it on.

Changing Emacs to handle indentation and alignment with
variable-width fonts would be an important and useful change.
Certain kinds of use would make sense, which currently don't.

It would be a big step towards making Emacs do the job of
a word processor, which is what I would like to see some day.
Imagine if you could edit nicely formatted documents directly
with Emacs, instead of using LibreOffice?  LibreOffice is
fine to use, it is free software, but it isn't Emacs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.