Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Controlling permission/ownership of published f

From: pll+ew
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Controlling permission/ownership of published files?
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:45:35 -0400

In a message dated: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:33:10 BST
TC said:

>Can I control the unix group, owner and permissions of published
>emacs-wiki files (including planner, etc)?
>
>For security purposes, I need to control access. For web users,
>I can do that using .htaccess. But in unix (i.e. for other
>users who are on the same unix system) I need to be able to
>control the file and directory group and permissions.
>How do I do that?

Err, how about setting the correct permissions on the parent
directory, setting the setgid bit, and correctly setting your umask?

Setting the correct umask in your .profile (or other shell config
file) should automatically set the mode of any newly created file.

Setting the gid bit on the parent directory should force the
inheritance of that directory's mode by it's children.

Or, am I misunderstanding your question?
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE