Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Complexity of computing w/ Emacs

From: Trent Buck
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Complexity of computing w/ Emacs
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:04:30 +1000

address@hidden (Zak B. Elep) writes:
> Same here :)  I'd like to learn Elisp soon so I can get started hacking
> on an Emacs client for MusicPD[1], but right now that's not in the #A
> tasklist :D

Have you tried EMMS?  For inspiration, at least.

>> My main worry is whether the efficiency of emacs UI can ever rise to
>> that of a suite of dedicated GUI applications.
>
> Maybe not with Emacs alone, but perhaps with Emacs and a UI that is
> designed with Emacs in mind, like Ratpoison or Ion.

I don't know how true it is to say that "RP was designed with Emacs in mind",
although both developers are hard-core Emacs users.  A lot of it is a direct
mapping of screen to the X world.

It's more correct to say that RP and Ion are window managers, IMO a "UI"
encompasses the window system, window manager, toolkit and applications.

>>   - Thunderbird Mail Client,
>     M-x gnus

There are others, of course.  vm is probably the next most popular.

>>   - A Java IDE
>     M-x java-mode; hell, even cc-mode is useful

There's also JDE, though I've never tried it.  ECB some IDE idioms for a bunch
of languages.

>>   - Mozilla Sunbird Calendar Application
>     M-x calendar

...and diary, and appt.  Planner, too.

>>   - A couple of terminals
>     M-x ansi-term, M-x eshell

Personally, I prefer M-x shell.

>>   - An IRC client
>     M-x erc-select

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ERC
There are other IRC clients.

>>   - A text editor with multiple tabs for keeping notes and TODO lists.
>     No direct analog in Emacs, but you can have several Emacs frames
>     open and work as a *single* window in PWM.

Emacs can have tabs.  XEmacs uses one implementation by default if you compile
(with widgets on, I'm told).

>> I think maybe I just haven't learned the right tricks yet.

Incidentally, I'm collecting tricks at http://twb.ath.cx/wiki/Workflow.xhtml,
although it's a massive mess presently.

Your first stop for discovering (in the HCI sense) elisp applications should be
http://emacswiki.org.

--
Trent Buck, Student Errant