[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Complexity of computing w/ Emacs

From: Zak B. Elep
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Complexity of computing w/ Emacs
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:29:43 +0800

Trent Buck <address@hidden> writes:

> Have you tried EMMS?  For inspiration, at least.

Yeah, I've tried EMMS, it rocks! :D  However, I usually like having my
mp3s on gapless, even crossfade playback, and that's currently not
possible using EMMS, which I believe calls helpers like splay and
mplayer...

> I don't know how true it is to say that "RP was designed with Emacs in
> mind", although both developers are hard-core Emacs users.  A lot of
> it is a direct mapping of screen to the X world.
>
> It's more correct to say that RP and Ion are window managers, IMO a
> "UI" encompasses the window system, window manager, toolkit and
> applications.

Yeah, it is better to say it that way, sorry ;)

> Emacs can have tabs.  XEmacs uses one implementation by default if you compile
> (with widgets on, I'm told).

Is that so? =) I didn't know that, thanks! :D

> Incidentally, I'm collecting tricks at
> http://twb.ath.cx/wiki/Workflow.xhtml, although it's a massive mess
> presently.

Thanks for the link, too!

> Your first stop for discovering (in the HCI sense) elisp applications
> should be http://emacswiki.org.

Indeed.  I've been looking at EmacsNiftyTricks, some stuff there's
really cool! And the RandomPage, it rocks! :D

--
ZAK B. ELEP     <address@hidden>        --      <http://zakame.spunge.org>
1024D/FA53851D          1486 7957 454D E529 E4F1  F75E 5787 B1FD FA53 851D