[emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-mode wishlist

From: Evan Monroig
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-mode wishlist
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:57:42 +0900

Hi,

I have been using planner mode for a few weeks now and I find it really
great. I especially like all interaction features with other emasc
applications: gnus, diary, calendar, bbdb, bibtex files, etc.

I also think that there is some way for improvements, so here is my
little wishlist.

Suggestions and hints more than welcome !

- subdirectories

  For some projects, I might create a large quantity of plan
  pages. For example, suppose that I want to keep one page for each
  research paper that I read, containing all the notes that I took
  while reading this research paper, as well as cross references to
  other research papers, and a link to the pdf file of that paper.

  It is not really realistic to do that by putting a new plan page in
  ~/Plan/ for each paper, as there will rapidly be hundreds of them. I
  would like to be able to create a directory, for example
  ~/Plan/ResearchPapers/, that will contain all these plan
  pages. Maybe I would even break that further down into
  subdirectories, etc.

- hide tasks ids {{Tasks:2}}, etc.

  I don't know the internals, but looking at my plan pages, I see that
  half of the text of a link is hidden from view. So why not also hide
  the tasks ids, with a regexp like "{{Tasks:\\[0-9\\]\\+}}" ?

- backup old tasks

  If you have a project that lasts a _long_ time, for example a *Home*
  plan page in which you keep what you need to do on a daily basis,
  there will soon be tens or hundreds of tasks in that page.

  Some of them you don't really need anymore. When I open that plan
  page, I don't want to see most of them.

  Two solutions.

  The first one is to create a second file associated with each plan
  page that is not a day page, and to move tasks older than X days in
  those pages.

  The second solution is to hide older tasks from the view, but still
  keep them in the file.

  With both solutions, it would be possible to create functions with
  names like planner-show-old-tasks and planner-hide-old-tasks, to
  hide or show all the old tasks. A hook (or variable) would then
  enable automatic hiding.

- drawings

  When I take notes on a piece of paper, like most people I usually
  also draw very simple pictures and diagrams by hand. It would be
  great if there was a way to draw and insert drawings (or pictures)
  inside plan pages.

Cheers,

Evan