erw-devel

Re: [Erw-devel] Spellchecker suggestion - how to contribute back?

From: erw-devel
Subject: Re: [Erw-devel] Spellchecker suggestion - how to contribute back?
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:56:37 -0400

I like to follow the current mode of inhibit when you don't want behavior -
whether it is done at the page or element level is a good question.

I was intending to get the basic version up first, and then continue
working to incorporate other languages (this uses aspell so languages
should NOT be an issue). Partly because I'm just starting with ERW
and re-learning php, and don't want to introduce too wide a change
until I'm more familiar with the internals.

I'm not sure if the underlying package is designed to work with other
languages so that would be the first step of discovery. The good news
is that it uses aspell which DOES support a wide variety of languages.

As it stands, it will grab any element on a page that is 'text' or 'textarea'
and run the spellchecker on it. I used it on a page with aprrox 75 text
fields and it is quite easy to cope with - it just fixes the fields
that are in error (with prompting of course). I was surprised that
there is only one field it always suggests is a wrong word - its a coded field
so it makes sense.

As to the question of element level -
I would definitely like to add that option .. after ... :)

Here's my hierarchy:
Enable spellchecking globally by setting the param in ERW-conf.php
Disable spellchecking for an entire form by using an ["inhibit"]
 variable
More specifically turn off spell checking on specific fields by
["inhibit"]-ing another level down.

My next step would be to work on internationalization. (I have done
quite a bit of it in my past - used to be a translator).

Then .. element level.

Thoughts?

Alfred