erw-devel

Re: [Erw-devel] Spellchecker suggestion - how to contribute back?

From: erw-devel
Subject: Re: [Erw-devel] Spellchecker suggestion - how to contribute back?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:18:47 -0400

A few clarifications.

I was referring to the spellchecker, rather than ERW when I said
I needed to see if it supported multiple languages.

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 03:39:54PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 18:56 -0400, address@hidden wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure if the underlying package is designed to work with other
> > languages so that would be the first step of discovery. The good news
> > is that it uses aspell which DOES support a wide variety of languages.
>
> If you mean ERW, it is designed to work with UTF-8 and any language.
> However, the language fetched from the browser might be completely
> different from the language in the form data.
>
> This is why I think it is fundamental that spell-checking specifies the
> language.
>
> > Here's my hierarchy:
> > Enable spellchecking globally by setting the param in ERW-conf.php
> > Disable spellchecking for an entire form by using an ["inhibit"]
> >  variable
> > More specifically turn off spell checking on specific fields by
> > ["inhibit"]-ing another level down.
>
> I see, but presently we are doing everything the other way around for
> essentially all fields. For instance, if you want JSCalendar, you must
> specify it for every field in which you want it.

I see this more like 'save & clone'. It is there for all forms - 99% of
the time you don't need it, but its great to have when you do. You don't
need it - don't click it.

> The point is that the basic system will always work, as it is simple.
> Complex behaviour should be set per item, as web apps are rather
> fragile.

I truly do not see this being a field level characteristic. A large
percentage of web forms would also look reasonable as a word or pdf document,
and you run a spellchecker on whole documents, not just portions
of the page (such as recipients address on a letter). If it doesn't know
the name of a street, so what, you just click ignore and move on. In other
words, this is consistent with the way most desktop software works. If you want
to spell check, check the whole page. If not, don't press the button :)

> > My next step would be to work on internationalization. (I have done
> > quite a bit of it in my past - used to be a translator).
>
> Anyway: I think we can happily start with a global variable setting
> spell-checking for everybody. However, rather than inhibiting, I would
> allow per-element setting in case the global variable is not defined.

As for global variable - all i mean is - if you set the path at all in the
ERW-conf.php
file, then the system will offer a spellcheck button (unless inhibit is chosen).