erw-devel

Re: [Erw-devel] Spellchecker suggestion - how to contribute back?

From: erw-devel
Subject: Re: [Erw-devel] Spellchecker suggestion - how to contribute back?
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:39:54 +0200

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 18:56 -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> I'm not sure if the underlying package is designed to work with other
> languages so that would be the first step of discovery. The good news
> is that it uses aspell which DOES support a wide variety of languages.

If you mean ERW, it is designed to work with UTF-8 and any language.
However, the language fetched from the browser might be completely
different from the language in the form data.

This is why I think it is fundamental that spell-checking specifies the
language.

> Here's my hierarchy:
> Enable spellchecking globally by setting the param in ERW-conf.php
> Disable spellchecking for an entire form by using an ["inhibit"]
>  variable
> More specifically turn off spell checking on specific fields by
> ["inhibit"]-ing another level down.

I see, but presently we are doing everything the other way around for
essentially all fields. For instance, if you want JSCalendar, you must
specify it for every field in which you want it.

The point is that the basic system will always work, as it is simple.
Complex behaviour should be set per item, as web apps are rather
fragile.

> My next step would be to work on internationalization. (I have done
> quite a bit of it in my past - used to be a translator).

Anyway: I think we can happily start with a global variable setting
spell-checking for everybody. However, rather than inhibiting, I would
allow per-element setting in case the global variable is not defined.
--
Ciao,

                                        seba