Re: [fluid-dev] invalid instrument/drum selection problem

From: jimmy
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] invalid instrument/drum selection problem
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:39:03 -0800 (PST)

--- Josh Green <address@hidden> wrote:

> It definitely does help.  There are a number of
> things that need to be
> improved with FluidSynth.  I rarely use FluidSynth
> to play MIDI files,
> although it is my plan to use it for that purpose in
> the future, for
> faster than real-time rendering of my own pieces and
> self made SoundFont
> files to audio files.  So a lot of these issues
> haven't really been
> identified.
>
> What audio driver are you using for FluidSynth?  As
> has been brought up
> on the mailing list before, and what I just got bit
> by, was the fact
> that certain audio drivers don't work properly with
> very short note
> on/off durations, which are sometimes used for
> percussion.  Basically
> the note will just not sound at all.  I've found
> that Jack works fine,
> but ALSA and likely OSS probably don't.  This also
> needs to be fixed,
> but will likely require a bit of work.

I don't have an expensive audio card.  For this
machine, it is an on-board chip.

 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev
02)

My run-in with MIDI and FluidSynth, Timidity is just
finding some melodies/tunes I may like, especially
good sounding international tunes I normally never
heard of.  Then try to learn it.  MIDI also allows me
to control the transposition, and slow the tempo down
to learn.  The keyboard an be tough for a begginner
like me on certain keys without transpostion.
RoseGarden allows me to mute all tracks except melody
and see the notes being played in the Composition view
of that track, too.  I wish RoseGarden matrix-view
(Piano roll) shows notes scrolling from the top down
to a normal piano view instead of right to left
scrolling of notes.

Of course, I already mentioned having auto
accompaniment rhythm started with fill-ins like an
arranger keyboard and playing the melody with it.
Could be handy on trips away from home.

Jimmy

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.