Re: [fluid-dev] Issue with modulation

From: Mark de Roussier
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Issue with modulation
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 19:14:48 +0100

Hello Jean-Jacques,

perhaps it will help if I describe how I can create the problem.

Environment :
=============
Current Raspian distro, fluidsynth 1.1.6

I'm using an RPi 2 with an external Behringer USB DAC and a Roland UM-ONE
USB Midi adaptor - I don't believe the specific hardware is relevant.

Steps to reproduce :
====================

Run fluidsynth as follows :

schedtool -R -p 49 -e fluidsynth -a alsa -o audio.alsa.device=front:CODEC,0
-m alsa_raw -o midi.alsa.device=hw:1,0,0 -g 0.5 -C no -R no -l

Load the standard GM font :

    load /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2

Sound a note from this font :

    noteon 0 60 80
    noteoff 0 60

This makes the correct noise - GM Acoustic Grand.

Load a Hammond Organ font :

    load /home/pi/Music/Hammondsf2/05.sf2

This has blown away our channel mapping, so remap :

    select 0 1 0 0
    select 1 2 0 0

Sound the same GM note as before :

    noteon 0 60 80
    noteoff 0 60

This makes the correct noise - GM Acoustic Grand.

Sound a note from the Hammond font :

    noteon 1 60 80
    noteoff 1 60

This makes the correct noise - Hammond.

Sound a note from the GM font again :

    noteon 0 60 80
    noteoff 0 60

This makes the correct noise - GM Acoustic Grand

Now play a note on channel 2 on a midi keyboard - this makes the correct
noise ( Hammond ).

Now play a note on channel 1 on a midi keyboard. This makes the WRONG
noise, its a horribly distorted Acoustic Piano.

It might just be a mix of Hammond and Acoustic Piano, but to me it sounds
more like the Acoustic Piano with the vibrato from the Hammond.

Issue the command

    cc 0 121 0

Play the keyboard again ( channel 1 ) - now this makes the correct noise (
Acoustic Grand ).

Unfortunately the Hammond soundfont is commercial, so I can't just share it
:(. I used a tool ( Swami ) to look at this font. When I look at notes in
the instrument section, and select the 'Misc. Controls' tab, I see a non
zero value ( 8.176 ) for the frequency setting of the Modulation LFO.

So my initial hypothesis is that when a note is played ( via MIDI ), then
this modulation is applied to all MIDI channels, even if they are mapped to
an entirely different font.

Cheers,
Mark