freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Best looking glyphs

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Best looking glyphs
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 14:09:02 -0600

I would say yes, it _is_ illegal, unless you have explicit permission from the
copyright holder to do so (no such permission seems to be given in the font,
but it might be given somewhere else). The general fair-use rule is that if
someone makes some copyrighted material available (whether for free or not),
you can do whatever you want for your own use, but cannot re-distribute it
without permission.

You should ideally provide a link to the site where adarshalipi is officially
available from.

(While on this, tumi je lekho-r site-e usp10.dll-ta rekhechho, seta definitely
be-aini.)

This is of course US law, I have no idea what India/Bangladesh laws say
(obviously no one there seems to care).

A long time back, I read in a VOLT mailing list message that most modern
bengali fonts (excluding the more 'fancy' ones) are essentially clones of a
typeface called 'Linotype Bengali'. I quote (from that message):

----------------------
Linotype Bengali is the registered name of a typeface developed by Linotype in
the UK in 1977-79, originally for the CRTronic typesetter, and first used by
the Calcutta newspaper Ananda Patrika Bazaar. It was developed by a group
including Fiona Ross, then head of Non-Latin typogrpahy at Linotype, Dr
Tarapada Mukherjeee of the School of Oriental and African Studies in London,
and the type designer Tim Holloway. Documentation relating to the typeface
and dating from the period of release, is deposited at the St Brides Prinitng
Library in London.
----------------------

(I have the full - quite long - message if any of you are interested)

This seems quite believable to me, as the font used by several different
publishers are almost identical (to the extent that we feel that somehow that
IS the official bengali shape). And as far as I know (I am not a lawyer of
course), typefaces are copyrighted (in India at least,  and Bangladesh as
well, I would guess). If that is true, I think (and this is personal opinion,
without any legal basis) that adarshalipi and all similar looking fonts all
violate copyright.

Then of course, there is US law, which apparently says that typefaces are not
copyrighted, only their implementations are. So, as long as we distribute the
fonts from an US server, we can copy any typeface we want, provided we build
the fonts from scratch using images of the glyphs and not the outlines
directly.

Anyway, the whole thing is very complicated.