freecycle-users

Re: [Freecycle-users] Re: [Swami-devel] Soundfont export

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [Freecycle-users] Re: [Swami-devel] Soundfont export
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:49:29 -0700

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 08:45 +0200, Predrag Viceic wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> >So you could either have an instrument per sample or you could just have
> >one instrument with a sample assigned to each key, whatever seems to
> >make the most sense.  Having 1 per instrument would mean that you would
> >need to assign different instruments to different MIDI channels and then
> >you are often limited to 16 channels on many implementations.  It would
> >make it easier to use in other work though if you dedicated an
> >instrument per sample.
>
> I had some spare time this WE and have implemented SF2 export, it rocks!
> I use one instrument and add a sample per zone (the sample root note being
> equal to the zone (range-low == range-high == root-note). Now I'm looking
> into DLS and GIG export. Are there any traps?

Great to hear!  Yes, DLS and Gig support are rather beta at this point.
In particular GigaSampler.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't try it
though :)  Any problems you discover will help get things moving in this
area.  DLS has a different architecture than SoundFont files.  Instead
of the Preset/Instrument/Sample structure of SoundFont, its
Instrument/Sample for DLS files (Instruments can be thought of as
equivalent to SoundFont Presets, a little confusing).  GigaSampler is
similar to DLS (is based on the DLS format), but uses "dimensions"
instead of the standard zone list.

> > Should this be done only in libinstpatch.h or should this be done for
> > every header file?
>
> Well I have add it only around libinstpatch.h. One of Freecycle packagers
> (address@hidden) has warned me that this add is removed by configure
> script. I have to dig further on this.

You need to make the change in libinstpatch.h.in which is a template
that gets re-written as libinstpatch.h by configure.

> Cheers,
> Predrag

Cheers!
        Josh Green